Effective Mosquito Control for your Home
Traps with propane are a well-known tool to get rid of annoying mosquitoes. I field-tested the newest and most affordable device from Mosquito Magnet, one of the more popular traps out there.
- I’m going to tell you how effective it is against flying critters and how to make best use of it.
- Furthermore this review will guide you through the most important improvements in comparison to older versions.
Uses propane to cover an area of 1 acre. It’s silent and odorless. Consider ongoing costs for propane, attractant, net and cleaner and use outdoors only.
The Patriot Plus MM4200B lures mosquitoes and other nasty bugs into a vacuum trap where they meet their doom. Once placed at the right location it kills tons of little bloodsuckers 24h a day.
Read my guide Mosquito Traps That Work to get a full overview of the best available traps.
A millions ways to die in the trap
Few other tools can compare to the effectiveness of this mosquito trap. Every time I empty the catching net it is very satisfying to see the boatloads of little bloodsuckers in there.
It can take some time, but I noticed a clear reduction of mosquitoes around my home.
At first I was not sure if the trap really helped with mosquito control. After 2 weeks however, the number of bites was reduced significantly. Mosquito Magnet Patriot Plus is extremely effective against mosquitoes!
If you resist to go outside near your home I highly recommend that you buy one. It’s one of the best tools for mosquito control.
When I have a barbecue with friends or just want to spend some time in the yard with my kids I don’t have to fear endless waves of bugs anymore.
They are just not there. Even no-see-ums cause no big problems because the trap takes care of them. I still get bitten rarely but it’s nothing compared to before.
How it works
The mosquito trap is for outdoors only and covers areas smaller than 1 acre with great success. The unit works with propane gas that gets converted into a plume of CO2, heat and water vapor.
This combination is really attractive for mosquitoes because it mimics the way humans get recognized. Once buzzers come too close they get sucked in by the trap’s vacuum.
To improve the Mosquito Magnet’s effectiveness it’s recommended that you use a second attractant. The most common ones are:
- Octenol (for everything in the Northern Region) and
- Lurex (Southern states and Hawaii, works great against tiger mosquitoes).
Using those results in a greater number of caughted insects. It’s worth to mention that the device operates completely odorless. There is no chemical scent like with repellents or coil.
Mosquitoes cannot escape the internal basket and starve to death after some time.
Compared to older models like the MM4100 the Patriot Plus has a bigger collection net. Therefore you need to change it way less often which also keeps costs lower.
It will depend on your local mosquito population but I guess that once per month is enough for most areas.
A clean net is important for a good airflow.
- If it gets blocked by dead mosquitoes this can reduce the Patriot’s effectiveness.
- Therefore it’s important to clean or replace the basket frequently.
- You will also have to change the propane cartridges once they are empty.
It’s very easy to do but keep the ongoing costs in mind.
Maintenance is key
Make sure to educate yourself before you put the trap in use. Read the manual carefully to get the most effective protection.
While Mosquito Magnets are great tools for mosquito control they require some maintenance. They are easy to use but not set and forget. One must follow a few points to get rid of bugs.
4 things need frequent replacement to maintain your unit:
- Change the basket when it’s full of dead mosquitoes (usually 1 month). You can also try to clean it but I prefer a new one to guarantee optimal airflow.
- Propane gas tank replacement after 21 days to keep the carbon dioxide plume working.
- Quick-Clear cartridges when you replace the tank. Flush the system with CO2 to keep the trap’s nozzle clean. It’s not absolutely necessary after every change but I recommend it.
- New second attractant like Octenol every 21 days.
All of these things require money and maintenance. Overall I spend about $35 a month during season ($15 for propane, $8 for Lurex3 attractant, $9 for the net, and $3 for the quick-clear cartridge).
- Fits Mosquito Magnet traps
- Replace every 21 days.
- Increases catch rates up to 10 times
At first this sounds rather unpleasant but I don’t want to spare you the details that come with the Mosquito Magnet. That said the maintenance is really worth the effort.
I rather spend an hour every 3 weeks and a dollar a day than getting bitten by hundreds of mosquitoes.
A well maintained unit is important for the best mosquito control. It’s well worth the effort.
Another important thing to consider is correct placement. You can experiment with different locations in your garden until you find the best one. It’s recommended that you keep some distance to humans because the CO2 attracts mosquitoes.
The Patriot Plus MM4200B’s power source is a 50ft. cord (lawn clippers included) which is long enough for most applications. After you’ve found the right place you can let the trap work 24/7.
Most of the time you won’t hear that the device is working.
- It is very silent and there is no zapping sound like with electric bug zappers.
- In addition there’s also no obtrusive light around that can interrupt your sleep at night.
From my experience propane traps like Mosquito Magnet are the better choice when it comes to killing mosquitoes specifically.
Hint: If you don’t want to get limited by a cord you can look for other models of Mosquito Magnet. The Independence and Executive trap work with long lasting batteries that allow you to place the unit wherever you want.
Additionally the costlier devices cover a bigger area and usually offer more sophisticated catching modes e.g. they stop working below 50°F to save propane.
How to make best use of it
The Patriot Plus is a highly effective mosquito trap if you know how to use it. Frequent maintenance is important to guarantee that the device keeps killing your yard’s mosquito population. As long as you follow the manual’s advice you’ll be fine.
That said not many other traps can compare when it comes down to diminishing critters that carry dangerous diseases. I personally use it with great success in my backyard and I don’t have to worry about mosquitoes anymore.
Granted, it requires some work but I usually forget this part when I’m sitting outside without getting bitten by annoying skeetos that fly.
- I use it together with mosquito dunks to control my yard’s population. I start before the season to prevent the larvae from hatching.
- The Patriot Plus takes care of the rest. This strategy results in a considerably smaller harassment by mosquitoes around my house.
I recommend that you buy the Mosquito Magnet Patriot Plus because it’s one of the best traps for mosquito control out there.
Propane devices have been scientifically proven to kill mosquitoes very effectively and they can also help you with your bug problem.
Get this excellent working trap to fight off nasty mosquitoes and their itchy bites.
Hi! My name is Mark and I’m an outdoor freak.
Visiting many exotic places around the world allowed me to gain some knowledge about effective mosquito control. That’s why I decided to start this site and give you in-depth reviews regarding the best repellents and traps.
And yes, you may call me Mosquito Mark.